Friday, July 2, 2010

Tröegs - Troegenator Double Bock

I'm a big fan of big beers as you may know.  Here's what the brothers in Harrisburg have been brewing. I bought a case of the Troegenator back in 2008 before I left for Libya.  I had a few on my visits back home. I first had this beer several years ago when I was looking for a German double bock like a Paulaner Salvator.  I found the Troegenator and decided to give the local boys a try.  For periods of fasting without solid foods, Monastic brewers relied on the double bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as "liquid bread", a double bock has a strong malt aroma and chewy rich body. In the spirited tradition of naming a double bock in the suffix "ator," Tröegs brings us Troegenator to provide warmth and richness through the early spring months.

The ABV is 8.2 and the IBU rating is 25
Style - Double Bock
Glass to use- Pilsner or a mug
Delivery 12 oz bottle.

Can be cellared for long periods, under the proper conditions.

The Pour - Pours dark burgundy brown with a nice cream colored head.  Not much lacing.
Aroma - I get fruits and malts, raisin, caramel and a tad of hops.
Taste - Malty with chocolate, caramel, molasses and some nutmeg.
Mouth Feel - Well carbonated, medium body.
Drinkable - Very drinkable an excellent double bock!

This beer pairs with beef, like a good steak, cheese and deserts (maybe not chocolate).

This beer gets a Duper rating of A-.
BeerAdvocate Rating = B+
Ratebeer Rating = 94
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment