Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tröegs - Mad Elf

Another one of my favorite seasonal beers.  I believe it is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale or a Strong Spice Ale.  I first discovered this beer at my local beer distributor.  It was December of 2006 I believe and I noticed the case display.  I read the description and decide to give it a go.  No regrets!  I've bought at least two cases every year since then.  Though I never managed to save any for aging.  I need to work on that because I think this beer will age very well.  The Mad Elf is made with Pennsylvania honey, sweet and sour cherries and Belgian spicy yeast, yum!
The Mad Elf, a cheerful creation to warm your heart and enlighten your tongue. The combination of Cherries, Honey, and Chocolate Malts delivers gentle fruits and subtle spices. Fermented and aged with a unique yeast, this ruby red beer has significant warming strength that underlies the pleasant character of this intriguing yet delicious Ale. The Mad Elf, a jolly and delicious beer for the Holidays.

The ABV is 11.0 and the IBU rating is ??
Style - Belgian Strong Dark
Glass to use- Snifter, Tulip, Goblet, Chalice, Oversized Wine Glass
Delivery 12oz Bottle

Can be cellared for long periods, under the proper conditions.

The Pour - Pours a ruby red color with a cream head. Some lacing.
Aroma - Sweet, cherries, other dark fruits, spices and honey.
Taste -  Sweet and cherries, . 
Mouth Feel - Medium body, alcohol and a tad too much carbonation.
Drinkable - Drinkable, love the subtle cherry taste.

This beer pairs well with cheese and meat.

This beer gets a Duper rating of A+.
BeerAdvocate Rating =B+
Ratebeer Rating = 93
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment