Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Widmer Brothers - Barrel Aged Brrrbon '12

Seasonal Ale Aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Barrel Aged Brrrbon ’12 is the third installment in Widmer Brothers Brewing’s Alchemy Project, a vintage dated beer series that repeats year after year and features handcrafted beers to be enjoyed now or cellared and aged for up to several years.

Hidden in the beautiful dark amber color are aromas of vanilla and caramel that compliment perfectly the presence of bourbon. Soft oak flavors transition into a sweet yet slightly dry finish.

Following the initial brewing process of Brrr, the beer was given a fresh charge of hops during secondary fermentation and then put into Kentucky Bourbon barrels and aged for four months. After barrel aging, the beer was allowed a tertiary fermentation for final conditioning before release.

The ABV is 9.5 and the IBU rating is 40
Style - Barrel Aged Winter Warmer
Glass to use - Pint Glass, Becker, Nonic, Tumbler or Snifter
Delivery - 22oz Bottle

Can be cellared for long periods, under the proper conditions.

The Pour - Pours a reddish amber color with a tan head. Good lacing.
Aroma - Sweet, vanilla, oak and bourbon.
Taste - Mostly same as the nose, malty, the vanilla and bourbon flavors are most prominent, hint of caramel. 
Mouth Feel - Medium carbonation, medium body and smooth.
Drinkable - My first barrel aged winter warmer, I was not disappointed. I'm really diggin' this brew as it warms up.  My first impression was to grade this a B+ but I have upgraded my rating to a A-.   Has a nice warm after taste that's a bit on the bitter side. (Which is a positive thing).  I will look for this brew next year.

This beer pair well with cheese, desserts and white meats.

This beer gets a Duper rating of A-
BeerAdvocate Rating = 82
Ratebeer Rating = 92

1 comment:

  1. I can't recall why I picked this beer up a few years ago, but I'm so glad I did. I've always thought this to be a great gateway bourbon beer, given a relative sweetness to the booze.

    However, I never grabbed a bottle of this year's batch! Should probably do that...

    ReplyDelete